‘God laid it on my heart’Spencer couple starts relief effort for flood victims in Iowa, Nebraska What began as a social media post has snowballed into a grass roots relief effort to assist communities in northern Nebraska...
‘We could still end up with a pretty nice spring’Spring flooding causes caution, optimism remains With a damp 2018 in the books, the last thing farmers in Clay County wanted to see this spring was flooded farmland. Being wary of additional...
Democrats prepare for caucus changesLocal Democrats anticipate new caucus rules ahead of the deluge of presidential candidates scheduled to appear in Iowa. They will be the “most significant” changes since the caucus’s inception in...
Muni to open for 2019-20 season WednesdayIn September 2017, Nancy Louscher celebrated a hole-in-one on the 97-yard 12th hole on the Spencer Municipal Golf Course. Louscher will have the opportunity to match her feat from two years ago...
- Eggs and Issues will feature local legislators Saturday (3/25/19)
- Student loan legislation pending in Des Moines (3/25/19)
- Sirens and Accidents - March 26 (3/25/19)
- Spencer Community School Foundation awards more than $68K to students (3/25/19)
- USDA ready to help Iowa farmers recover from recent flooding (3/25/19)
- Volunteer health insurance counselors needed for Clay County (3/25/19)
- SMS expands FFA program (3/24/19)
- As cybercrime becomes more complex, local employee has near miss (3/24/19)
- Fine Arts Boosters bring Mardi Gras fun to Spencer (3/24/19)
- 'DARE-ing' students to avoid drugs and alcohol (3/24/19)
- Laker softball sweeps MarshalltownMARSHALLTOWN — The Iowa Lakes Community College softball team brought their bats Sunday in their sweep over NJCAA D-1 Marshalltown Community College. The Lakers put up a combined 31 runs in their two games. Yasmine Nix and Annjelica Moreno-Englebrecht each picked up a win for the Lakers. They are now 6-10 on the season and 3-1...
- Storm Lake rugby carries on (3/25/19)
- Laker women’s golf opens season (3/25/19)
- Hargens receives student athlete achievement award (3/25/19)
- Playing it safe (3/24/19)
- Timber management techniques benefit oaks, wildlife in southern Iowa forests (3/24/19)
- Cool things you should know about jackrabbits (3/24/19)
Randy’s Review: “Us” (3/22/19)I’m going to admit it, as a teen during the height of the slasher film craze — Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, etc. — I have grown weary of films designed to cause my heart to skip a beat via what I term as “jump scares.” So the idea of settling in for Oscar-winning writer-director Jordan Peele's second go at the big screen came with a bit of trepidation...
Dixie Jean RigbyFuneral services for Dixie Rigby, 73, of Spencer, will be conducted at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 30, 2019, at First English Lutheran Church in Spencer. Rev. Paul Kaldahl will officiate the service....
Iris HansonServices for Iris Hanson, 91, of Spencer, will be conducted at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, March 23, 2019, at Faith Lutheran Church in Spencer. Rev. Lee Laaveg and Rev. John Syverstson will officiate the...
Mavis StonerFuneral services for Mavis Stoner, 90, of Peterson, will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. Monday, March 25, 2019, at United Methodist Church of Peterson. Rev. Karen Berg and Rev. Michael Hyde will...
ServicesV&T Bus Tours Bus Trip to Jackpot Junction Tuesday, April 2nd Day trip: Leave Spencer at 8:30a.m. Milford at 9:00a.m. Spirit Lake at 9:30a.m. Cost is $20.00 You receive $15 in free play. Call Vickie at 712-338-2316 or Terry at 712-240-9089.
Help WantedGrain farm help wanted. 712-260-3288.
Help WantedA&M Laundry has an opening on the Wash Floor. Working on the wash floor. Loading and unloading of industrial sized washers. Running machine programs. 5:00 AM to 3:30 PM Monday through Thursday. Application being accepted at 223 11th St. SW, Spencer.
- Oklahoma settles with maker of OxyContin over opioid crisis
- Back in Israel, PM consults with military on Gaza violence
- Ethics body questions ex-EPA chief's $50-a-night condo deal
- Trump administration wants all of 'Obamacare' struck down
- House tries to override 1st Trump veto in border wall fight
- APNewsBreak: Founder, board of Vatican women's magazine quit
- Trump says investigation abused him, led to 'evil things'
- Judge suggests Hawaii man avoid favorite soda on probation
- Baby boom: 9 labor unit nurses pregnant at Maine hospital
- An 'extreme stalker' has a Utah family's home under siege
- Mix-up: British Airways plane lands in Scotland, not Germany
- Man who stopped to feed homeless fights traffic citation
- Alaska man who tracks down stolen vehicles enters plea deal
- Philly chilly in September, so nude bike ride set for August