SHS grad’s 1st children’s book ensures ‘The Train Rolls On’A 2004 Spencer High School graduate has made the transition from a career in crime scene investigation to becoming a publisher and author. Last year Jodi Monahan Adams launched her first crowdfunding...
City Council approves finalized downtown preservation guidelinesA multiyear effort led by the Spencer Historic Preservation Commission concluded with the City Council's unanimous approval of the Grand Avenue Commercial Historic District Guidelines earlier this...
Sidewalk cafes face uncertain fate1During Monday evening's Spencer City Council meeting, Spencer Mayor Kevin Robinson shared he had received a letter from the state's regional district office engineer requesting modifications to the...
Restored cross back on top at St. Joe'sMILFORD — It took four attempts, but the bell tower of St. Joesph Catholic Church in Milford is once again topped with a golden cross. The cross had been taken down and restored last month as part of...
- ‘Rock the Park’ lineup announced (6/10/21)
- Health officials provide vaccine update (6/10/21)
- Around Campus - June 11 (6/10/21)
- Flashback Friday: Cozy rural quarters (6/10/21)
- Storm Lake woman dies following rural collision (6/10/21)
- Spencer Muni Band begins summer rehearsal schedule (6/10/21)
- Seasons Center’s program receives $500 from ACIG (6/10/21)
- Rosenboom donates collaborative robot to NCC (6/10/21)
- Pence to speak at FAMiLY Leadership Summit (6/10/21)
- Celebrating Marge (6/10/21)
- Giving their all: Spencer earns semifinal spotDES MOINES — Spencer’s girls soccer team had just accepted the Class 2A State Semifinalist trophy. They gathered in the shade near Cownie Soccer Field and heard coach John Hansel speak after a 5-1 loss to top-ranked Waverly-Shell Rock Wednesday. “Keep your heads high, keep your heads up,” Hansel said, quoting a 2010 song by Andy Grammer. ...
- Tigers' 2 diamond wins includes Huckfelt’s walk-off (6/10/21)
- Sports calendar (6/10/21)
- Tigers battle ELC close; 10-run Cherokee (6/10/21)
- SC pitchers notch double digit ‘Ks’ (6/10/21)
- Rebels use 11 runs to win 2 games (6/10/21)
- Multiple fan favorites return to dirt track at 2021 fair (6/9/21)
- What is the value of water? (6/8/21)
- Taking advantage of weed walleyes (6/8/21)
- Tips for catching fish all summer (6/8/21)
- Kids’ Fishing Clinic set for June 12 (6/8/21)
- Complete effort: Tigers earn win over Warriors (6/7/21)
Randy’s Review: ‘The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It’ (6/10/21)Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are back as supernatural investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren in this third installment in “The Conjuring” series, and eighth film set in the conjure-verse, which centers around a youth exorcism they were involved with which led directly into their involvement with the connected 1981 murder trial of Arne Cheyenne Johnson...
Glen StoterauGraveside services for Glen Orville Stoterau, 98, will be conducted at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, June 12, 2021, at Pleasant View Cemetery in Hartley. Rev. Lynn Dau will officiate the service. Military...
Patty RobertsPatty J. Roberts, 81, of Spencer, passed away on May 22, 2021, at Riverview Manor, Pleasant Valley. Per her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A celebration of life will be held from 11 a.m....
Phyllis KrusenstjernaPrivate funeral services for Phyllis Jean Krusenstjerna, 95, of Spirit Lake, will be conducted at Warner Chapel in Spencer. Rev. Shurmaine McAlpine will officiate the service. Burial will be at...
Amber Spears and Christopher Utesch (5/24/21)Annette and Roger Riley, of Dickens, and Steven Spears, of Spencer, are proud to announce the engagement of their daughter, Amber, to Christopher Utesch. Christopher is the son of Thomas and the late Karen Utesch, of Moville. Amber is a 2007 graduate of Spencer High School and a 2021 MSW graduate of the University of Missouri. She is currently employed by Seasons Center in Spencer...
Help WantedNeeded for 2021-2022 school year: 1st Grade Teacher and Full Time Teacher's Aide. Sacred Heart Catholic School is looking for vibrant, qualified individuals to work in a wonderful Christian environment. Full time positions with benefits and competitive wages. Position will remain open until filled. Please email letter of application, resume, and credentials to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Amanda Woodall, Sacred Heart School, PO Box 817, Spencer, Iowa 51301. EOE.
Help WantedEarly Childhood Director Full Time w/Benefits Position: Sacred Heart's Manzer Family Early Childhood Center is looking for a vibrant, qualified individual to work in a wonderful Christian environment. The Early Childhood Director is responsible for the daily operations of the center. They ensure a safe and educational environment for young children, manage teaching staff, develop curricula in coordination with teachers, communicate with parents, and uphold the center's reputation. Position will...
RentalsFor Rent: 3-bedroom, 1-bath house 900 W 5th St, Spencer. 2-car garage. No pets. $1000/month plus deposit. (712)229-0219
ServicesJackpot Bus Trips June 24: Overnight Trip Cost $65 per person double occupancy $100 per person single occupancy $50 free play Payment Due by June 18 Leave Spencer 8:30a.m. Milford 9a.m. Returning at noon on June 25. Call for more details Vickie 712-338-2316 Terry 712-240-9089