Storm Lake police chief, state representative weigh in on gun control debateThere is room in the heated gun control debate for compromise, says Storm Lake Public Safety Director Mark Prosser, but local state legislator Gary Worthan worries that giving up any gun rights would...
Fireworks use in skate park restroom prompts responseThe use of fireworks brought eight Spencer firefighters to the East Leach skate park at 8:25 p.m. Sunday night, responding to fireworks set off in a port-a-potty. Prior to their arrival, smoke was...
Bomgaars to vacate council seatSpencer Ward 3 City Councilman Steve Bomgaars addressed what he called “the worst kept secret in Spencer” during Monday night’s council meeting, acknowledging the fact he and his wife would be moving...
A cut aboveSunset Park in Storm Lake was buzzing over the weekend — literally — as some of the premier chainsaw artists from around the country created their work in the annual Wood, Wine & Blues festival....
- Several candidates announced for Democratic Steak Fry (8/19/19)
- Conservation Board raises $2,400-plus for learning center (8/19/19)
- Illg recognized for ‘Excellence in Education’ (8/19/19)
- Former Simonsen property purchased, city courts DOD consideration (8/19/19)
- Summer reading party pulls crowd (8/18/19)
- Danger in distraction (8/18/19)
- Royal council listens to nuisance concerns (8/18/19)
- Living History 5K set for Labor Day (8/18/19)
- Horsin’ around (8/18/19)
- Black Tie Black Leather takes Roaring '20s turn (8/18/19)
"Ex's and Oh's" performed by Storm Rising at The Chill (08/16/2019) (8/19/19)
"The Letter" performed by Spencer Ukulele Group at Mainstreet Market (08/08/2019) (8/11/19)
Eddie Mauro Q&A with Clay County Democrats (8/5/19)
"Crocodile Rock" performed by Itty Bitty Boji Band at Mainstreet Market (08/01/2019) (8/2/19)
- Fall sports nearly hereFile photos The fall sports season officially began with the start of practices last Monday, and this week moves the calendar one step closer to official action with scrimmages beginning for MacKenzie Bruning (Above) and the rest of the Tiger volleyball team sharpening their skills against the Sioux Central Rebels in Sioux Rapids Tuesday, and Gage Garnatz (No.3 Below) and the Tiger football team scrimmaging against the Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn Hawks at Dale Norton Field Friday night. Official competition for fall sports will begin Thursday, Aug. 29, with the Spencer Cross-Country Invitational and early bird tournament play for Spencer’s volleyball girls.
Randy’s Review: ‘The Kitchen’ (8/15/19)Great cast, flat tale I had really high hopes for “The Kitchen.” Sometimes hopes are dashed. Based on a DC Vertigo graphic novel, three great actresses — Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish and Elisabeth Moss — play a trio of housewives married to midlevel Irish mobsters in Hell’s Kitchen. When the husbands get caught and arrested in a heist, they are sent away for three years leaving the wives with nothing...
Joan Marie Nelson-HaasFuneral services for Joan Marie Nelson-Haas, 83, will be conducted at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, 2019, at Seventh Day Adventist Church in Spencer. Visitation will be from 5-8 p.m. Friday at...
Mathew ZieringerMathew “Matt” P. Zieringer, 90, of Rochester, Minnesota, passed away Saturday, Aug. 10, 2019, at St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester. Mathew Peter Zieringer was born July 18, 1929, in Chicago, Illinois,...
Kim DalkeKim Rochelle Dalke, of Phoenix, Arizona, formerly of Sioux City, passed away early Saturday morning, Aug. 10, 2019, at the Mayo Hospital in Phoenix after a short duration of leukemia and pneumonia....
Garage SaleMulti-family garage sale! Ashley brand sofa and pub table, glass door cabinets, window shades for large windows, home decor, kids clothes and toys, appliances, lots of miscellaneous items that aren't needed after moving and remodeling! 1111...
Help WantedCommunity Memorial Assisted Living in Hartley currently has RN, LPN, and CNA positions available. Competitive wages and flexible scheduling. Apply in person at the Health Center business office. EOE.
RentalsGarage Sale: 601 W 11th St, Spencer. Fri & Sat 8-11am. Coach purses, $1 boys clothes sizes 3T to YS, telescope, toys, double stroller, books, misc decor.
- Trump acknowledges China policies may mean US economic pain
- Venezuela crisis pushes women into 'forced motherhood'
- Trump: Any Jew voting Democratic is uninformed or disloyal
- Australian court upholds sex abuse verdict of Cardinal Pell
- McCain's family fights to define legacy of civility, service
- China ties shape cautious reaction to Hong Kong protests
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- German city offers $1.1M to whoever proves it doesn't exist
- Germany: 8-year-old goes on highway joyride with mom's car
- Vandalized robot may solve mystery of its own attack
- TSA says traveler forgot snake at Newark security checkpoint
- Helicopter pilot fighting fine for landing in friend's yard
- Alaska man discovers message in bottle from Russian Navy
- Officials seize marijuana mixed with jalapeÃƒÂ±o peppers