Double overtime thriller

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Spencer falls to Le Mars in Lakes showdown, 86-80

Klemme with 30 points, 16 rebounds

In the Spencer boys' first real test of the season at Le Mars Friday night, the Tigers answered the bell but couldn't close out the game, losing 86-80 in double overtime.

Spencer's Matt Klemme drives in for a layup against Le Mars' Tyler Borchers on Friday, Dec. 14 at Le Mars High School. Klemme would finish with 30 points and 16 rebounds but the Tigers would fail to hold a lead, falling to the Bulldogs 86-80 in double overtime. (Photos by Michael Fischer)

Le Mars' Brenden Collins hit a 3-pointer with 1.7 seconds left in regulation to tie the game and force overtime. Collins was 1-of-10 from three prior to hitting the game-tying shot. The Bulldogs would pull away in the second overtime period to hand Spencer its first loss of the season (6-1).

Spencer's Matthew Klemme played huge inside all game, finishing with 30 points (11-of-18 shooting) and 16 rebounds, while Tanner Morris and Matt Finnern each added 14 points, but it wasn't enough as Le Mars improves to 4-1 on the year.

"It was a great high school basketball game," Spencer coach Kory Petzenhauser said. "We knew coming in here nothing would be given to us. There are a lot of things to learn from but I know we're leaving here a better basketball team."

Spencer's Tanner Morris hits a layup over the head of Le Mars' Gabe Rahn on Friday, Dec. 14 at Le Mars High School. The Tigers lost their first game of the year Friday, 86-80, in double overtime.

The first half was as even as it could be with the game tied after the first quarter, 15-15, and at half, 33-33. Spencer pulled ahead by six after three quarters but Le Mars continued to scrap back into the game and scored 21 points in the fourth quarter to force overtime.

With nine seconds remaining in overtime, Klemme missed the front end of a 1-and-1, which led to Collins hitting the tying three. The game was tied after the first overtime, 73-73, and Le Mars hit two 3-pointers to start the second overtime to gain some breathing room. Spencer stayed in the game but when Morris was called for a charge with under 30 seconds to play, and Le Mars hit two free throws, the game was over.

"The character of these guys is to never quit, never give in and always battle and fight," Petzenhauser said. "We didn't get the bounces tonight."

In addition to Klemme, Morris and Finnern, Michael Gabhart was the fourth Tiger in double figures with 10 points before being forced to the bench with an ankle injury down the stretch. Gabhart also grabbed seven rebounds.

Collins led the Bulldogs with 23 points on 8-of-20 shooting. Gabe Rahn and Tyler Borchers each added 18 points, with Borchers grabbing 12 rebounds and blocking five shots.

Spencer was 3-of-14 from three and 19-of-27 from the line. Total shooting was 27-of-57 from the field.

Spencer is now 3-1 in the Lakes Conference and will host Storm Lake next Friday, Dec. 21, for its final game before the holiday break.


Le Mars15181321813--86

SPENCER: Matthew Klemme 30, Matt Finnern 14, Tanner Morris 14, Michael Gabhart 10, Blake Altenhofen 6, Nigel Nielsen 5, Weston Glienke 1.

LE MARS: Brenden Collins 23, Tyler Borchers 18, Gabe Rahn 18, Kyle Dolph 12, Jake Irwin 9, Brandon Buss 5, Colan Borchers 1.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: