[Spencer Daily Reporter nameplate] Partly Cloudy ~ 83°F  
High: 81°F ~ Low: 59°F
Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Hot curling iron cause of house fire

Saturday, August 18, 2012

(Photo)
A burnt mattress and other items lay in the yard at 612 Third Ave. W. following a bedroom fire early Friday morning.
(Photo by Randy M. Cauthron)
An investigation into a house fire at 612 Third Ave. W. determined that a hot curling iron placed on a blanket caused an early morning fire Friday morning, displacing the family.

At 1 a.m., the Spencer Fire and Rescue volunteer responders were dispatched to the residence.

"Upon arrival, fire was located in an upstairs bedroom. Firefighters entered the building encountering high heat and heavy smoke," Spencer Fire Chief Doug Duncan said.

A mattress and bedding fire was extinguished.

"The house sustained heavy fire damage to the bedroom and minor smoke damage throughout the rest of the structure."

Twenty firefighters responded to the fire, and were assisted on scene by Spencer Municipal Hospital Ambulance and the Spencer Police Department.

No injuries were reported and Red Cross representatives were alerted to assist the residents who were unable to return to their home.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.