[Spencer Daily Reporter nameplate] Fair ~ 55°F  
High: 84°F ~ Low: 53°F
Friday, May 6, 2016

Breaking News: Infant dies after ingesting fluid at Marble Beach

Thursday, August 4, 2011 ~ Updated 11:14 PM

(Photo)
Natalie Wells
A 22-month-old child died, allegedly from complications associated with ingesting fluid used to light decorative tiki torches, Tuesday. Unofficial reports suggested Natalie Wells was rushed from a campsite at Marble Beach park in Dickinson County to Lakes Regional Health Care Center in Spirit Lake then life-flighted to a Sioux Falls Hospital after drinking the mixture.

A funeral service has been planned for 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 10, at DaySpring Assembly of God Church in Spencer.

The Dickinson County Sheriff's Office said the case is being handled by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation. Officials with the DNR in Dickinson County indicated they had limited knowledge of the incident Wednesday afternoon, suggesting they weren't aware of what time it occurred Tuesday, and could provide no details with regard to circumstances.

An unofficial source said the child got into the fluid while the family was setting up camp Tuesday afternoon at the state park. A member of the family saw her drinking the fluid, grabbed her and raced her to the nearby medical center.

Parents of the child are Cory Wells and Bonnie Wells. Grandmother is Chris Montenegro.

Visitation will take place starting at 3 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 9, at Warner Funeral Home in Spencer, with the family present from 5-7 p.m.

Burial will take place at Riverside Cemetery in Spencer.


Comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on spencerdailyreporter.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.

so horribly sad! Can't even begin to imagine what this family is going through. Prayers are with them!

-- Posted by AshlyMeyer on Wed, Aug 3, 2011, at 6:47 PM

Such a heartbreaking story...prayers to the family. Headline should be changed though because a 22 month old is not an infant

-- Posted by exspencerman on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 8:30 AM

What a horrible tragedy. What the parents must be going through.

-- Posted by joev on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 11:06 AM

so very sad!! i can't even imagine what this family is going through, prayers to you all!!

-- Posted by lennyslady on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 11:09 AM

Such a tragic story. Little ones move so fast, this could happen to anyone. Thoughts and prayers go out to this family. May little Natalie rest in peace.

-- Posted by opinion8 on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 8:08 PM

May God's strength through family and friends carry this dear family on during these very difficult days.

-- Posted by windchimes3 on Thu, Aug 4, 2011, at 10:51 PM

So sad for the family and no one wanted this to happen, the Lord understands that things can happen that we don't want to happen. We all fall short of his glory, but he is always there for us no matter what. Natalie is an angel in heaven.

-- Posted by be honest on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 6:37 PM

so sorry for your tragic loss of your little girl there are not enough words to say to comfort you may god give you the strength you need to get you through this tragic part of your life it's never easy to lose your child rely on god and all those around you may natalie rest in peace and know that she is in a beautiful place heaven.she is gone but never forgotten.

-- Posted by arlene stewart on Fri, Aug 5, 2011, at 11:15 PM


Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: