Clay County cattle grazing

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The USDA/ Clay County Farm Service Agency annouce that Conservation Reserve Program(CRP) acres in counties designated as Presidential Disaster Areas because of flooding are eligible for livestock grazing.

Grazing on CRP is only authorized in counties designated as primary and contigious disaster areas and only because of flooding. This emergency grazing authorization ends September 30, 2008.

Iowa has 97 of the 99 counties designated as primary and contigious disaster counties. The following Iowa counties are approved for CRP grazing:

Adair, Adams, Allamakee, Appanoose, Audubon, Benton, Black Hawk, Boone, Bremer, Buchanan, Buena Vista, Butler, Calhoun, Carroll, Cass, Cedar, Cerro Gordo, Chickasaw, Clay, Clarke, Clayton, Clinton, Crawford, Dallas, Davis, Decatur, Delaware, Des Moines, Dickinson, Dubuque, Emmet, Fayette, Floyd, Franklin, Fremont, Greene, Grundy, Guthrie, Hamilton, Hancock, Hardin, Harrison, Henry, Howard, Humboldt, Ida, Iowa, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Johnson, Jones, Keokuk, Kossuth, Lee, Linn, Louisa, Lucas, Lyon, Madison, Mahaska, Marion, Marshall, Mills, Mitchell, Monona, Monroe, Motgomery, Muscatine, O'Briend, Osceola, Page, Palo Alto, Pocahontas, Polk, Pottawattamie, Poweshiek, Ringgold, Sac, Scott, Shelby, Sioux, Story, Tama, Taylor, Union, Van Buren, Wapello, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Webster, Winnebago, Winneshiek, Woodbury, Worth, Wright.

To be approved, CRP participants must contact the Clay County Farm Service Agency(FSA) office, obtain a modified conservation plan and receive county office approval before beginning to graze.

Participants will experience a 25 percent reduction in their 2008 Annual CRP rental payment.

Under CRP, farmers and ranchers enroll eligible land in 10 to 15 year contracts with USDA's Commodity Credit Corporation(CCC). The FSA administers CRP on behalf of CCC.

Participants plant appropriate cover such as grasses and trees in crop fields and along streams. These plantings help prevent soil and nutrients from running into regional waterways and affecting water quality. The long-term vegetative cover also improves wildlife habitat and soil quality.

* For more information, requirements, and guidelines about release of CRP land in flood regions for grazing, contact the Clay County Farm Service Agency, located in the USDA Service Center at 306 11th St. SW Plaza, Spencer, Iowa or by telephone 712-262-2546 or visit

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: