Fire department, local services work to neutralize gas leak danger

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Wednesday morning, the Spencer Fire Department was called to a gas leak at 414 First Ave. E., after a gas riser on the southeast side of the building was reportedly struck by snow moving equipment.

The call came at approximately 8:55 a.m., and firefighters were asked to respond to the site where gas was releasing into the air.

The Spencer Fire Department was forced to evacuate First Avenue Hair Care, The Eagles, Masonic Temple, Temple Apartments, Phelps Dental Office, Nelson Hearing, Twetten's Interior Design and an apartment and residence to the east of the Temple Apartment building.

Aquila responded to the scene and began operations to secure the leak. Spencer Municipal Utilities shut-off power to the entire one block area, and Mediacom disconnected power to their cable subscribers in the area. The Spencer Police and Spencer City Street departments secured and blocked off streets in the area. Firefighters provided protection for Aquila employees and performed gas reading checks in the area with detection equipment.

The leak was stopped at 9:54 a.m. The situation was deemed safe for residents and workers to returen to the area around 10 a.m.

Spencer Community Schools assisted the fire department by allowing some displaced citizens to take shelter in the old middle school during the incident.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: