Flag presentation will be conducted by the Milford American Legion.
Interment will take place at Milford Cemetery.
Irwin passed away in his sleep on April 29, 2007 at the Milford Nursing Center.
Irwin was born Oct. 16, 1917 at Huxley to Henry and Gladys Tweed Hokel. The family lived in Humboldt before moving to Stanhope where he graduated from high school in 1936. He attended the Jackson School of Business in Chillicothe, Mo. for a year before going to Des Moines for a job with The Des Moines Register.
On Jan. 18, 1940 he was married to his seventh grade sweetheart, Doris M. Johnson. After the wedding they moved to Baltimore, Md. where he was employed by Civil Service and the Social Security Administration. In 1942 he was relocated with Civil Service to Redwood Falls, Minn. Irwin joined the Army in 1943 and was commissioned as lieutenant in the Army Air Corps. During this time he was navigator of B-17s and B-29s. After the end of WWII, Irwin and Doris moved to Spencer where he and his brother, Lanny Hokel, owned Hokel's Standard Service. Irwin and Doris then built The Spencer Motel in 1956 which they owned and operated, along with the station, until retiring and moving to West Lake Okoboji in 1969.
He was a member of Bethany Lutheran Church of Spencer and later of the First Lutheran Church of Milford. He was also active in the Masonic Lodge and Shrine.
Irwin is survived by his wife, Doris of Wahpeton; daughters: Ann Hokel of Wahpeton and Ruth Peters and her husband, Bob, of Jackson Hole, Wyo.; one grandson; one granddaughter; and six great-grandchildren.