Lake accident victims identifiedSTORM LAKE - The Buena Vista County Sheriff's Office has identified the victims of Sunday's accident on Storm Lake, where a vehicle plunged through the ice killing two and hospitalizing two others. A...
Weekend tragedy in Storm LakeSTORM LAKE ― A father and his 8-year-old son died, but two other children were rescued after a vehicle fell through the ice on Storm Lake Sunday evening. Buena Vista County Sheriff Kory Elston...
Ward 1 city election todayRegistered voters in Spencer’s Ward 1 are reminded to vote Tuesday between the hours of 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. for one of three candidates seeking to fill the vacant Ward 1 Spencer City Council seat....
Seasons Center’s Winter Games Free Kids’ Carnival Jan. 26SPIRIT LAKE — Seasons Center for Behavioral Health and Autumn’s Center are hosting the seventh annual Winter Games Free Kids’ Carnival from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, at the Bedell Family...
- City receives mural ordinance concerns (1/21/19)
- 'Bethany's Bankers' prepare to take the plunge (1/21/19)
- City approves pay increase for city manager (1/21/19)
- St. Luke Lutheran Home Resident of the Month: Virginia 'Deda' Behrens (1/21/19)
- City, property owner discuss $4,000 yard work bill (1/18/19)1
- Leadership Spencer registration open (1/18/19)
- Providing a 'cozy atmosphere' for families (1/18/19)
- Seasons, Hope Haven taking applications for IPR (1/18/19)
- New billing system coming for SMU customers (1/18/19)
- Clay County Fair announces grandstand changes (1/18/19)1
- SB-L pressure puts away Tiger girlsEarly missed shots put Spencer’s girls in a hole against Sergeant Bluff-Luton Saturday in the field house, but it was the Warriors’ pressure to start the second half that sealed the Tigers’ fate as they fell 57-33. “I thought our girls stayed aggressive on the offensive end,” Tiger girls basketball coach Matt Stevenson said. ...
Randy's Review: 'Bumblebee' (1/10/19)When I first learned a new film in the “Transformer” franchise was in development, I let out an internal groan of pain. At least I hoped it was internal. The worn franchise, about a war being waged between two factions of enormous, shape-shifting mechanical aliens, had lost its charm in the past adaptations, resorting to a Power Ranger-esque inclusion of dino shape-shifting bots. ...
John MonnahaJohn Edwin Monnahan, 67, passed away surrounded by his family Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019, at Norton's Hospital in Louisville, Kentuky. He was born Feb. 19, 1951, in Hartley, Iowa, the son of the late...
Russell ChristensenFuneral services for Russell Christensen, 91, will be conducted at 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Royal. Rev. Mark Wilms will officiate the service. Private family...
Barbara HalversonBarbara Halverson, 93, of Spencer, and formerly of Sioux Rapids, died on Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019, at the Spencer Municipal Hospital in Spencer. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 16,...
WantedWant to Buy: Used Garden Arch 712-346-8535.
Help WantedHelp Wanted: Looking for a set schedule and no weekends? Apply in person 1900 18th Street Spirit Lake, IA 51360.
Help WantedPart-time or Full-time receptionist/office assistant wanted in Spencer. Experience with QuickBooks, accounting, Word and Excel preferable. Positive customer service skills necessary. Send cover letter and resume to: Office Manager P.O. Box 752 Spencer, IA. 51301
- Senate set to vote on 2 competing plans to end shutdown
- The Latest: Chris Brown released from custody in Paris
- Tentative deal reached to end Los Angeles teachers strike
- Judge hearing testimony on 2020 census citizenship question
- Boys school shuts down amid fallout over Washington videos
- High court lets military implement transgender restrictions
- Oscar nods honor 'Roma,' 'The Favourite,' 'Black Panther'
- Giant ice disk equipped with webcam after surviving storm
- Orangutan bites zoo volunteer, detaches her thumb
- 9 brains, 3 hearts: Some wild facts about octopuses
- Armed with affection, octogenarian is an 'octopus whisperer'
- Pastor predicted score in Patriots' AFC championship win
- Half ton of fun: Cincinnati Zoo's Fiona turning 2
- Restaurant sign approved after concerns it was offensive