City, property owner discuss $4,000 yard work bill1During the most recent Spencer Committee of the Whole meeting, council members and city staff discussed how to move forward regarding a series of events relating to the grass seeding of a...
Clay County Fair announces grandstand changes1Citing the need to provide a safer and more relevant grandstand concert and event experience, the Clay County Fair has announced several changes for the 2019 fair, Sept. 7-15. “The fair is known for...
Forum grand opening draws a crowdSTORM LAKE — An overflow crowd packed in and around the new CRU5H restaurant in the Buena Vista University Forum Wednesday evening for a Grand Opening event marking completion of the Siebens...
Storm Lake native stars in sensitive new filmA new movie is available for rent on Amazon, but this time the star of it isn’t any old Hollywood A-lister — it’s Storm Lake’s very own Alison Hixon. The Storm Lake-raised artist and actor got her...
- Leadership Spencer registration open (1/18/19)
- Seasons, Hope Haven taking applications for IPR (1/18/19)
- New billing system coming for SMU customers (1/18/19)
- Ag Briefs (1/18/19)
- Education Briefs (1/18/19)
- Around Campus (1/18/19)
- Area man receives Feb. 5 trial date to answer sexual assault charges (1/18/19)
- Drawing hope from tragedy (1/17/19)3
- County discusses slag concern (1/17/19)
- NOAA continues ‘essential services’ in shutdown (1/17/19)
- Winter Weather Advisory in effect until midnight CST on Wednesday for Dickinson County and 6 other counties in Iowa
- Winter Weather Advisory in effect until midnight CST on Wednesday for Emmet County and 11 other counties in Iowa
- Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 6:00 PM CST on Tuesday for Osceola County, Lyon County and Sioux County
- Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 6:00 PM CST on Tuesday for Jackson County, Minnesota; Nobles County, Minnesota and Cottonwood County, Minnesota
- Late push lifts Sioux Central girlsLAKE PARK — Sioux Central and Harris-Lake Park’s girls kept it close all night Thursday, but the Rebels outscored the Wolves by five in the fourth quarter to seal a 51-44 triumph. “We played a little sluggish at the defensive end but made some shots late in the game to pull away,” Rebel girls basketball coach Alan Vasher said. ...
- Spencer swims past Tornadoes (1/18/19)
- 2 Midwest ice fishing hot spots (1/18/19)
- Rebels cruise past H-LP (1/18/19)
- 2019 winter bald eagle watches (1/18/19)
- Chronic wasting disease confirmed in 14 Iowa deer including first positive in Dubuque County (1/18/19)
- Crappies, bluegills don’t disappoint at Okoboji’s Emerson Bay NAIFC qualifier (1/18/19)
Randy's Review: 'Bumblebee' (1/10/19)When I first learned a new film in the “Transformer” franchise was in development, I let out an internal groan of pain. At least I hoped it was internal. The worn franchise, about a war being waged between two factions of enormous, shape-shifting mechanical aliens, had lost its charm in the past adaptations, resorting to a Power Ranger-esque inclusion of dino shape-shifting bots. ...
John MonnahaJohn Edwin Monnahan, 67, passed away surrounded by his family Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019, at Norton's Hospital in Louisville, Kentuky. He was born Feb. 19, 1951, in Hartley, Iowa, the son of the late...
Russell ChristensenFuneral services for Russell Christensen, 91, will be conducted at 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Royal. Rev. Mark Wilms will officiate the service. Private family...
Barbara HalversonBarbara Halverson, 93, of Spencer, and formerly of Sioux Rapids, died on Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019, at the Spencer Municipal Hospital in Spencer. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 16,...
Chief Operating OfficerElderbridge Agency on Aging, a non-profit organization, is currently seeking a Chief Operating Officer to join our team. You must be an experienced and efficient leader, have excellent people skills, business acumen, and exemplary work ethics to...
Help WantedHelp Wanted: Looking for a set schedule and no weekends? Apply in person 1900 18th Street Spirit Lake, IA 51360.
Help WantedPart-time or Full-time receptionist/office assistant wanted in Spencer. Experience with QuickBooks, accounting, Word and Excel preferable. Positive customer service skills necessary. Send cover letter and resume to: Office Manager P.O. Box 752 Spencer, IA. 51301
- Venezuela quells soldiers' revolt, top court blasts congress
- MLK holiday offers stage for Democratic hopefuls
- Frigid air, high winds sweep the Northeast; at least 6 dead
- UK leader unveils Brexit Plan B, looks a lot like Plan A
- 3 groups; many videos; many interpretations of DC encounter
- Kamala Harris opens presidential bid
- TSA screener sick-outs hit 10 percent over holiday weekend
- Pastor predicted score in Patriots' AFC championship win
- Half ton of fun: Cincinnati Zoo's Fiona turning 2
- Restaurant sign approved after concerns it was offensive
- Cat rescued after sliding down dam's spillway
- Another ice disk grabs attention in Maine
- Police seek volunteers to get drunk for them; many respond
- Commuter's 'delay scarf' bought by German train company