Thinning blue lineArea law enforcement officials are noticing a declining trend in qualified applicants for entry level officer positions. Currently, the police departments of Spencer, Spirit Lake, Okoboji, Arnolds...
A glimpse at a foreign place, different timeFor more than 20 years, Arts on Grand and Carey's Electronics have partnered to bring films from around the globe to movie lovers in Spencer. The program will feature a first Monday evening when it...
Clay County inmate attempts jail breakA 24-year-old inmate in the Clay County Jail allegedly threatened to flee and then acted on his threat before being subdued and returned to a cell without injury Tuesday afternoon. The incident...
Event remembers lake victims, thanks rescuersSTORM LAKE — A gathering of first responders and community supporters huddled on the frozen lakefront at Sleepy Hollow Wednesday evening, where rescuers had staged on the night of Jan. 20 to try to...
- Local infrastructure withstanding winter (2/15/19)
- Gathering by the green (2/15/19)
- Storm Lake lawmaker: Zero chance for recreational marijuana this session (2/15/19)1
- SCT presents 'The Dixie Swim Club' (2/15/19)
- Education Briefs (2/15/19)
- Around Campus (2/15/19)
- SHS students participate in Stock Market Game (2/15/19)
- Apple pioneer Wozniak to lecture at BVU (2/15/19)
- Ernst, senators meet with Ivanka Trump (2/15/19)1
- A front seat for nearly 20 years of popular music (2/14/19)
- Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 6:00 PM CST for Dickinson County and 9 other counties in Iowa
- Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 6:00 PM CST for Emmet County and 37 other counties in Iowa
- Winter Weather Advisory in effect until midnight CST on Monday for Jackson County, Minnesota and 6 other counties in Minnesota
- Tourney run ends for Spencer (2/15/19)
- Storey tabbed for Shrine Bowl (2/15/19)
- Bald Eagle Midwinter Survey results are in (2/15/19)
- DNR extends muskrat trapping season in several areas (2/15/19)
- IGLFC Wild Game Feed nets money for Jim McDonnell Scholarship fund (2/15/19)
- Must-have tools for fishing (2/15/19)
Randy’s Review: ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ (2/14/19)Take away the ridiculously scripted moments of peril between two ill-fated young lovers — one a human and one a cyborg — and you’ve got a fun, well-crafted, special effects heavy, sci-fi tale in “Alita: Battle Angel.” Featuring a couple of Hollywood A-listers in Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali, the futuristic tale – based on a popular manga series “Gunnm” — is set in Iron City in the year 2563...
Maxine EldridgeServices for Maxine M. Eldridge, 84, will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019, at United Methodist Church in Ruthven. Rev. Kris Hackbart will officiate the service. Visitation will be...
Larry VanWestenFuneral services for Larry VanWesten, 65, of Spencer, will be conducted at a later date. Visitation was conducted Wednesday, Feb. 13, at Warner Funeral Home in Spencer. A second visitation will be...
Lillian MeyerFuneral services for Lillian Meyer, 89, of Winterset, formerly of Spencer, werheld at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2019, at Riverside Cemetery in Spencer. Rev. Russell Muilenburg officiated the...
Items For SaleDownsized: Having an indoor tag sale on Friday, Feb. 22 and Saturday, Feb. 23 at 402 5th Ave. SE, Spencer. Refridgerator, furniture and many household items. Cash only.
Rentals1 Bedroom apartment available in quiet building. All utilities including trash and cable covered. Unfurnished. Applications may be picked up at Days Inn Spencer. $600.
Help WantedYMCA CHILDCARE STAFF Spencer Y Licensed childcare seeks caring hardworking adults for early childcare center. Part time day shift M-F. Pay is $9-11 based on experience, 20-35 hours a week. Benefits include free YMCA membership, discounted childcare & classes, retirement, and Employee Assistance Program. Contact Director Julie Krogman at 712-262-3782 or email@example.com
- Chicago police: Jussie Smollett assault case has 'shifted'
- The Latest: Joe Harris tops Stephen Curry for 3-point title
- State Department: Nauert out as pick for UN ambassador
- Aurora shooting victims ranged from intern to plant manager
- Potential privacy lapse found in Americans' 2010 census data
- Dem presidential candidates introducing themselves to voters
- Storm-lashed South Carolina reassesses global warming's role
- Candy company exec who mass-produced Peeps gets his own day
- Beer from 1886 shipwreck may yield new brew
- Home investor finds staircase booby-trapped with a knife
- Nightmare: Man's car stolen while he's asleep in back seat
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Hungry bear goes for ride after getting stuck on trash truck
- Cockroaches named after exes to be fed to Texas zoo animals