Iowa from aboveMany Iowans have seen the Capitol in Des Moines or the bluffs along the Upper Iowa River, but a new documentary promises to present some familiar Iowa sights in a way few Iowans have seen. "Iowa Land...
Ag Outlook returns for 35th year
Thinning blue line1Area law enforcement officials are noticing a declining trend in qualified applicants for entry level officer positions. Currently, the police departments of Spencer, Spirit Lake, Okoboji, Arnolds...
A glimpse at a foreign place, different timeFor more than 20 years, Arts on Grand and Carey's Electronics have partnered to bring films from around the globe to movie lovers in Spencer. The program will feature a first Monday evening when it...
- Sirens - February 19
- Bid accepted as West Fourth Street project advances
- City amends fire chief job description
- Multiple arrests at underage drinking party
- Local infrastructure withstanding winter (2/15/19)
- Clay County inmate attempts jail break (2/15/19)
- 'Live, people art' (2/15/19)
- Gathering by the green (2/15/19)
- Event remembers lake victims, thanks rescuers (2/15/19)
- Storm Lake lawmaker: Zero chance for recreational marijuana this session (2/15/19)1
- Tigers catch fire late, bounce DutchSERGEANT BLUFF — MOC-Floyd Valley put Spencer on its heels early Monday night in Class 3A Substate 1 quarterfinal play. The Tigers struggled to get any shots to drop, and the Dutch seemed to be able to score at will in the paint as they built a lead as large as 16 points. Spencer’s perimeter defense flipped the script in the second half, closing off the lane while the Tiger offense drilled five 3-pointers in the fourth quarter for a thrilling 60-55 comeback victory...
- Rebel run starts with blowout (2/15/19)
- Tourney run ends for Spencer (2/15/19)
- Storey tabbed for Shrine Bowl (2/15/19)
- Bald Eagle Midwinter Survey results are in (2/15/19)
- DNR extends muskrat trapping season in several areas (2/15/19)
- IGLFC Wild Game Feed nets money for Jim McDonnell Scholarship fund (2/15/19)
Randy’s Review: ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ (2/14/19)Take away the ridiculously scripted moments of peril between two ill-fated young lovers — one a human and one a cyborg — and you’ve got a fun, well-crafted, special effects heavy, sci-fi tale in “Alita: Battle Angel.” Featuring a couple of Hollywood A-listers in Christoph Waltz and Mahershala Ali, the futuristic tale – based on a popular manga series “Gunnm” — is set in Iron City in the year 2563...
Sharon VanderhoffSharon Vanderhoff, 71, of Ruthven, died Thursday, Feb. 14, 2019, at the Spencer Municipal Hospital. Services will be held at a later date. Survivors include her husband, Keith of Ruthven; children:...
Natalie RubelA celebration of life for Natalie Lynn Rubel, 40, will be conducted from 1-6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019, at Martin-Mattice Funeral Home in Ruthven. Natalie Lynn Rubel, daughter of Ken Rubel Jr and...
Patricia CarterPatricia Jo Carter, 88, of Sioux Rapids, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2019, at the St. Luke's Lutheran Home in Spencer. Private family services will be held at a later date. The...
ServicesV&T Bus Tours Bus Trip to Jackpot Junction Tuesday, March 5th Day trip: Leave Spencer at 8:30a.m. Milford at 9:00a.m. Spirit Lake at 9:30a.m. Cost is $20.00 You receive $15 in free play. Call Vickie at 712-338-2316 or Terry at 712-240-9089.
Items For SaleDownsized: Having an indoor tag sale on Friday, Feb. 22 from 9-5 and Saturday, Feb. 23 from 9-3 at 402 5th Ave. SE, Spencer. Refrigerator, furniture and many household items. Cash only.
Rentals1 Bedroom apartment available in quiet building. All utilities including trash and cable covered. Unfurnished. Applications may be picked up at Days Inn Spencer. $600.
- Official: Deputy AG Rosenstein expected to depart in March
- Jailed Citgo executives in limbo amid Venezuela turmoil
- Police: More than a dozen people trapped on SeaWorld ride
- Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen after protest
- Roger Stone apologizes to judge for Instagram post about her
- 16 states sue Trump over emergency wall declaration
- Trump pleads with Venezuela's military to back Guaido
- Authorities remove cougar from tree outside California home
- Italian soccer team loses 20-0 after fielding only 7 players
- Candy company exec who mass-produced Peeps gets his own day
- Beer from 1886 shipwreck may yield new brew
- Home investor finds staircase booby-trapped with a knife
- Nightmare: Man's car stolen while he's asleep in back seat
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too