Officials release initial report in Doon derailmentSPIRIT LAKE — The National Transportation Safety Board has provided a few answers about the derailment of a Burlington Northern Sante Fe Railroad train near the city of Doon which occurred in June....
Vehicular homicide case gets new trial dateA vehicular homicide trial involving a Milford driver will see another delay. District Court Judge David Lester on Aug. 3 signed off on a continuance in the State vs. Ann Marie Vanderpool case. The...
Special Olympics, SHS students get one-of-a-kind rideSpencer Community Special Olympics athlete Nathan Galm rides the organization’s new adapted cycle with his sister, Abby Galm. The unique bicycle has been acquired by the Spencer Community Special...
Leaving on a high noteA last day on the job can be emotional for some people, but rarely is it ever musical. As unlikely as it may sound, one local McDonald’s employee spent his last day far away from the fryer and up...
- Shayla Bee ‘gearing’ up for super summer celebration (8/15/18)
- Grow Spencer Commission reviews mission statement, community input (8/15/18)
- Author details 'neglected' story of gangster residing in rural Iowa (8/15/18)
- Grassley gets local perspective on ag (8/15/18)
- Ambassadors welcome new owners at Prime Rib (8/15/18)
- As recycling industry changes, city redoubles efforts (8/13/18)
- Clay County looks for poll workers ahead of election (8/13/18)1
- Final swim (8/13/18)1
- Learning ag 'from farm to table' (8/13/18)
- CC-E community response prompts district to consider 1 building option (8/13/18)
- CCF Speedway crowns season champsSpencer’s Jared Gross, pictured tearing down the home straightaway earlier this season, claimed the sport compact season championship at CCF Speedway Sunday night. Gross entered the night tied with Jay DeVries to the lead in track points this season, but finished second while DeVries placed third to grab the crown. ...
Randy’s Review — ‘The Darkest Minds’ (8/9/18)Based on a popular teen book series, “The Darkest Minds,” is a great story idea that didn’t quite measure up on the big screen. Call it a weak script or occasional acting issues, the tale just didn’t live up to what it could have been. Stealing a bit from the X-Men theme, a group of young people gifted with unique powers find themselves joining forces to stay alive and fight the persecution in a world which wants them serving as a tool of destruction or dead...
Ken NorrisFuneral services for Ken Norris, 89, of Spencer, will be conducted at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, 2018, at Grace United Methodist Church in Spencer. Rev. Paul Frederiksen will officiate the service. A...
Alice EldridgeFuneral services for Alice Eldridge, 88, of Spencer, will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, Aug. 17, 2018, at Warner Chapel in Spencer. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the services at the funeral...
Mildred HoefgenMildred L. Cox Hoefgen passed away July 29, 2018, at St. Luke Nursing Home in Spencer, Iowa. She was born on Dec. 8, 1925, to Ralph and Grace Brower Cox. After graduating from Springfield High School...
Lauer, Reardon to wed in Minnesota (7/18/18)Mike and Theresa Reardon, of Spencer, and Jerry and Lynn Lauer, of Burnsville, Minnesota, announced the engagement of their children, Kelsey Lauer and Nick Reardon — both of Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota. The couple will be married at 4 p.m. Aug. 24, 2018, at Hyland Hills, Bloomington, Minnesota. They will make their home in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota...
Items For SaleFor Sale: Malibu Moped. Great condition, only used twice. Call 712-470-0027 or 712-346-7591
Help WantedAn established local manufacturer is looking for an experienced CNC Machinist. Preferred applicants must have experience programming and operating CNC machining centers & lathes. Starting wage $20.30/hr. and benefits offered. Mail resume to: 2400 Hwy. 18 East Algona, IA 50511 Fax: 515-395-6262
Help WantedAn established local manufacturer is looking for an experienced fabricator. Qualified applicants must have 2 years MIG and TIG welding experience or completed 39 week welding course. Must be able to read and interpret complex blueprints. Starting wage $20.30/hr and benefits offered. Mail resume to: 2400 Hwy. 18 East Algona, IA 50511 Fax: 515-395-6262
- Afghanistan revises death toll from suicide bombing to 34
- Women's trial in Kim Jong Nam killing heads to defense phase
- Church sex scandal: Abuse victims want a full reckoning
- Prosecutor: Priests 'weaponized' the faith to abuse kids
- Trump pulls Brennan's clearance, links move to Russia probe
- Jury to begin deliberating in Manafort financial fraud trial
- US newsrooms to Trump: We're not enemies of the people
- ASPCA says more than 600 birds removed from home
- Mexico City restaurant busted over protected tarantula tacos
- Mom who hosted elaborate $25k prom send-off accused of fraud
- Police look into video of man spanking hippo at LA Zoo
- Superintendent accused in feces on track to receive $100,000
- Bear makes an unlikely stop in a liquor store
- Minnesota deputies rescue women stranded on unicorn raft