Vilsack to make second go at US ag secretaryWASHINGTON — Former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack will return to a familiar post in President Joe Biden's administration following his Senate confirmation for agriculture secretary by a 92-7 vote. The former...
VFW essay contest winners announcedThe placement of Spencer students in the Veterans of Foreign Wars’ annual essay contest has been released. Each year, students write about specific themes. Clay County VFW Auxiliary 3159 was proud to...
Clay, 6 other counties fall below 5% positivity rateSpencer Hospital did not admit any patients last week due to COVID-19 diagnoses and only two patients were hospitalized in the nine-county area. Also, local positivity rates are looking great, with...
Next tier of vaccination plan may be nearThe next priority groups in Iowa's COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan may be rolling up their sleeves in the near future. State officials estimate about 70% of the current group ― Tier 1 of the...
- With positivity rates declining locally, hospital board revisits COVID-19 (2/26/21)
- Hemann outlines what’s next for Lakes Conference (2/25/21)
- CC-E Superintendent reviews student numbers (2/25/21)
- Spencer Hospital visitation restrictions updated (2/25/21)
- Free community suicide prevention trainings (2/25/21)
- Early, Sandy nominated for 3A judicial position (2/25/21)
- TRIO Upward Bound students spread cheer (2/25/21)
- Lakers recognized for military, veteran friendly efforts (2/25/21)
- Around Campus (2/25/21)
- Reynolds, Naig participate in virtual trade mission with Japan (2/25/21)
- Holy heartbreak: Tigers fall just shy in Clear LakeCLEAR LAKE — A fourth quarter rally from nine points down came up a couple of possessions shy for Spencer in a 58-55 loss to Clear Lake in a Class 3A district semifinal battle Thursday. “The effort was great, to be sure,” Spencer coach Kory Petzenhauser said. “We could not ask any more of our guys. We set the tone in the first half and stretched the lead to seven points. But they switched defenses on us in the second half and we struggled a bit.”...
- Tigersharks prepare for state events (2/25/21)
- Rebels’ high hopes dashed by Indians’ versatility (2/25/21)
- Laker Briefs (2/25/21)
- Middle, high school girls headed to AAU (2/25/21)
- Coaches support girls wrestling full-sport bid (2/25/21)
- Make the most of your winter hike (2/25/21)
- Dead sticking for walleyes (2/25/21)
- Remembering those memorable bites (2/25/21)
Randy’s Review: ‘The Little Things’ (2/25/21)A very slow burn, this serial murder mystery, “The Little Things,” keeps the audience engaged with a strong cast — Denzel Washington, Rami Malek and Jared Leto — who deliver the type of performances theatergoers have come to expect. Washington stars as former L.A. ...
Patricia HolmbergPatricia “Pat” Holmberg, 82, formerly of Spencer, passed away Dec. 13, 2020, in Emmett, Idaho. Pat is survived by her husband, Richard Holmberg; daughter, Tine Huberg (Greg); grandchildren: Amber...
Mark SchwartingMemorial services for Mark Wayne Schwarting, 77, of Spencer, will be conducted at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021, at the Warner Chapel in Spencer. Mark, the son of Milton and Lorraine (Lee)...
Lloyd SenneLloyd Theodore Senne, the son of Arthur and Elizabeth (Schwieger) Senne, was born on May 24, 1932, in Fairmont, Minnesota. His childhood years were spent on a farm northwest of Fairmont, Minnesota,...
Swanson, Cleveland to wed in May (2/9/21)Chris and Lori Swanson, of Spirit Lake, are pleased to announce the engagement and upcoming marriage of their daughter, Piper Grace, to William Robert Cleveland, son of Chad and Brenda Cleveland, of Laurens. Piper is a 2014 graduate of Spencer High School and a 2020 doctor of pharmacy graduate of Drake University in Des Moines. ...
Equipment Operators & LaborersIowa Lakes Regional Water is seeking experienced equipment operators & laborers. Full-time seasonal positions available. Use your knowledge, skills & abilities while improving the quality of life by installing & maintaining water and...
Help WantedFull-time cooked wanted. Shift hours will vary weekly. Some evenings required. Holidays and weekends required. Excellent benefits. St. Luke's 712.262.5931 ask for Mary.
Help WantedSPENCER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS is accepting applications for the following positions: Teacher Associates (all grade levels), 27.5 hours per week. If interested, please apply online at www.spencerschools.org and proceed to employment/application link. EOE/AA
- Countries urge drug companies to share vaccine know-how
- France's Sarkozy convicted of corruption, sentenced to jail
- Prince Philip moved to specialized London heart hospital
- Tensions over vaccine equity pit rural against urban America
- Democratic voting bill would make biggest changes in decades
- Prince Harry: Split from royal life 'unbelievably tough'
- Defying deadly crackdown, crowds again protest Myanmar coup
- Doctor appears in court video call while performing surgery
- 2 skiers defy death in descent of Yosemite's Half Dome
- 19th-century Amherst home cleared for mile-long move
- NYC steakhouse stunt: A wax Don Draper hanging at the bar
- Pythons, iguanas: Florida restricts some exotic reptiles
- Venomous spiders prompt temporary Michigan library shutdown
- Mars rover's giant parachute carried secret message