Trucker gets life in prison for deadly human smuggling runThe truck driver who has admitted to his role in a human smuggling scheme that resulted in the deaths of 10 immigrants in Texas last July will spend the rest of his life in behind bars. James Matthew...
Little Sioux, Ocheyedan to crest Tuesday night under flood warningThe Little Sioux and Ocheyedan rivers are expected to crest in minor flood stage Tuesday at 12.9 feet and 8.8 feet respectively. While both city and federal officials stated they are keeping an eye...
Local rabbit enthusiasts gather for 'Bunny Boot Camp’Sixteen-year-old Gabbi Carpenter has won as many as 100 local and state awards for showing and breeding rabbits over the last six years. Now, the president of the Clay County Rabbit Wranglers 4-H...
Going ‘Downtown Upstairs’ a 2nd timeSpencer Main Street will be hosting its second annual Downtown Upstairs tour at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 5. Tourists will gather at Terrazzo Coffeehouse, 605 Grand Ave., starting from 9 a.m. before...
- Annual Garden of Life planned for May (4/24/18)
- Sirens and Accidents - April 24 (4/24/18)
- SAAC receives AED as precaution (4/23/18)
- ATLAS in need of helping hands (4/23/18)
- County gains trio of child advocates (4/23/18)
- 'Prepare to learn' (4/23/18)
- 2018 Spencer High School Prom (4/22/18)
- Musicians earn spot on All-Iowa Honor Band (4/22/18)
- SMS sends 25 to Sine Nomine festival (4/22/18)
- Inauguration ceremony for BVU president set for May 4 (4/22/18)
- Tennis girls fight past Storm LakeAfter two straight winless seasons, Spencer’s tennis girls cracked the “W” column Monday night with a hard-fought 8-1 win over Storm Lake at Riverview Park. “Our girls have worked so hard to get this first win,” Spencer girls tennis coach Bob Schlaeger said. “I am so proud of each of them. This did not come easy. Storm Lake some very athletic girls, and we had to dig deep many times.”...
Randy’s Review: ‘Rampage’ (4/19/18)What is a popcorn movie? It’s a movie where you grab your bucket of popcorn and favorite beverage then sit back, turn off your brain and just watch with little expectation. That’s “Rampage” in a nutshell. Another Hollywood production loosely based on a 1980s video game...
Tammy GrotheFuneral services for Tammy Grothe, 42, of Sioux Rapids, will be conducted 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, April 25, 2018, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Spencer. The Rev. William Schreiber will officiate...
John CampbellJohn W. Campbell, 84, of Cedar Falls, died Friday, April 20, 2018, at Newaldaya Lifescapes in Cedar Falls. He was born Nov. 20, 1933, in Oakville, Iowa, the son of Kenneth and Katherine Ellensen...
John TuttleThe world has lost a truly amazing man. On March 19, 2018, just three days after he celebrated his 74th birthday, John passed away in Houston, Texas, from colon cancer with his two sons, Michael John...
CUSTOMER SERVICECFG-Spencer Insurance Agency is looking for a new employee for our team who is interested in servicing clients and building equity. Send resume to CFG at 702 Grand Ave., Spencer, IA 51301.
Garage SaleGarage Sale Friday May 4, 5pm-7pm, Saturday May 5 9am-noon 3701 Jackson Ave, Spirit Lake Women's clothing Size S-L, Shoes Size 7-9, Lots of Housewares, Bar Height Stools, Picture Frames, Tons of name brand items from a smoke-free home
- Woman gets prison for using someone else's tainted urine
- Court sides with human in copyright fight over monkey selfie
- Admiring teen's courage, Dwayne Johnson declines prom invite
- Penn State says wilderness is too risky for outdoors clubs
- Airline passenger fined after keeping free airline apple
- Texas man sentenced to 50 years for $1.2M theft of fajitas
- Town bids farewell to iconic, 200-year-old copper beech tree