ILCC rejects bids on new performing arts centerESTHERVILLE — During its meeting Tuesday, the Iowa Lakes Community College Board of Trustees rejected all bids for a new performing arts center. Bids of $8,475,800 from Christensen Construction out...
Tree removal surrounding storm sewer project raises questionsTrees marked with a pink “X” and pink ribbon have been targeted for removal as a result of impending construction (associated with storm sewer work) from West Seventh Street to West 11th Street in...
Salton charged with ‘displaying dangerous weapon’A 58-year-old Dickens man was taken into custody by Clay County Sheriff’s deputies after brandishing a weapon in what the sheriff’s report alleged was a “road rage incident.” William Salton was...
SFD battles fire in vacant homeFifteen firefighters from Spencer Fire and Rescue responded to a house fire at 620 E. 18th St. Tuesday morning. At 11:30 a.m., emergency communications notified Spencer fire responders that a vacant...
- Official name change part of CCF's centennial kickoff (3/22/17)
- Spencer RAGBRAI Committee announce headliner, logo (3/22/17)1
- Spencer Library receives Black Hills Energy donation for Summer Reading Program (3/22/17)
- Ag Breakfast serves hundreds to celebrate Agriculture Week (3/22/17)
- Farmers Insurance welcomes Ambassadors to new location (3/22/17)
- Jones supports increased flexibility for schools (3/20/17)
- Jacobsen sworn in as City Council member (3/20/17)
- Alice's Tea Party sets the table (3/20/17)
- Course in agriculture targets women (3/20/17)
- Chamber Ag Breakfast Tuesday (3/20/17)
- Jump Rope for Heart raises over $11,000Above, over 140 participants from Lincoln Elementary, Spencer Middle and Sacred Heart Elementary schools flooded the Field House floor Tuesday night, raising money for the American Heart Association by way of a Jump Rope for Heart event coordinated by Spencer physical education instructors Katie Tanner, Jennie Klatt and Matt Stevenson. Altogether, the young jumpers raised $11,458.16 for the AHA. Lincoln's 100 students in fourth and fifth grade brought in $7,653.53, the 31 sixth-grade students at the middle school generated $3,290.64 and eight students from the fourth, fifth and sixth grades at Sacred Heart tallied $514. Individual high earners from each school were: Aliza Edwards from the middle school with $406.13, Riley Herman from Lincoln with $275 and Sami Noethe from Sacred Heart with an even $200. Raffle prizes from Pizza Hut, Subway, Fridley Movie Theatre and the AHA were handed out to the participants.
Randy’s Review: ‘Kong: Skull Island’ (3/16/17)Usually when Samuel L. Jackson is on the screen, he’s the baddest dude around. That is of course unless he’s sharing the screen with an 80-foot ape. Such is the case in “Kong: Skull Island,” the latest telling of the King Kong story. There are no New York City skyscrapers to be found, nor is their some strange kind of monkey love interest. ...
Bonnie OverockerA celebration of life for Bonnie Overocker, 79, of Milford, will be held at a later date. Bonnie passed away Thursday, March 16, 2017, at St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester, Minnesota. Turner Jenness...
Jerome ‘Jerry’ LehrServices for Jerome "Jerry" Dennis Lehr will be conducted at 11 a.m. Friday, March 24, 2017, at First United Church in Sioux Rapids. Rev. Curt Batschelet will officiate the service. Jerry was born...
June StevensonLongtime Spencer resident June Stevenson passed away suddenly at her home in Grand Junction, Colorado, on March 17, 2017. She was born to William and Mabel Cairns on May 22, 1926, in Canonsburg,...
Berryhill, Glover wed in Burlington (3/22/17)Samantha Berryhill and Scott Glover were united in marriage on Saturday, March 18, 2017, at the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Burlington. Rev. Will Ryan officiated. Amanda Crispen,...
Merchant, Schulz wed in Spencer (3/1/17)Kirsten Merchant and Dillon Schulz were united in marriage on Aug. 6, 2016, at Bethany Lutheran Church in Spencer. Rev. John Syvertson officiated the ceremony. JoAnne and Leland Franke and Scott and...
Borkowski, Cauthron to wed May 13 (3/22/17)Rebecca Borkowski, of Everly, daughter of Jill Borkowski and Anthony Borkowski of Everly, and Hunter Cauthron, of Spencer, son of Randy and Leah Cauthron of Spencer, announce their engagement and approaching marriage. Rebecca is a 2013 graduate of Clay Central-Everly and a 2017 graduate of the University of South Dakota...
Ball, Krueger to wed in Wisconsin (3/15/17)Teresa Ball, 29, and Cody Krueger, 29, surrounded by the brides parents and other Hawkeye fans became engaged to be married, on Jan. 1, 2016, in Pasadena, California, at Rose Bowl Stadium. The couple met in March of 2012 in Iowa City, Iowa. Teresa is a 2005 graduate of Okoboji High School and a graduate of the University of Iowa College of Nursing, Bachelor of Science (2010) and Master of Science (2012). ...
Housing WantedChristian woman looking to rent a room in a house or willing to be live in help for elderly. 712-260-7074
Help WantedHelp Wanted: Part-time and full time Maintenance,Housekeeping, Laundry,and Part-time night and evening desk help. Must be dependable, and flexible. Willing to work weekends and holidays. Front desk applicants must be knowledgeable in business management, computer skills, strong leadership, organization, communication skills and customer service. Apply in person at Econolodge, or South T Motel, Spencer.
RentalsFor Rent: 3 bedroom home, 820 25th St. SW, Spencer. $750/month. (712)363-3333
- Jerzeez Diner owners admit setting fire for insurance money
- 'Town That Garbage Built' for sale in Pennsylvania for $1.5M
- Suspect in Massachusetts liquor store robbery found sleeping
- Ex-postal worker admits scamming $1.2M in federal benefits
- After fight, Indiana man receives 'ATHE1ST' license plate
- Religious TV station in Senegal accidentally airs porn
- What a croc: Student busted for taking baby gators into taxi